Hair Care Tips for Men
Hair is made of Keratin and Protein and has no blood supply, nervous system or reparative qualities, so looking after your hair is of the utmost importance and maintenance from an early age is vital to keep your hair strong, looking healthy and shiny. The following tips will help keep your hair looking its best:
- Ensure that your shower is not too hot as very hot water can strip the natural oils from your hair and leave it dry and brittle.
- The condition of your hair is frequently an indication of the health of your body. Eating well, exercising, drinking plenty of water and reduce stress in your life will result in a healthier scalp and great looking hair.
- Repeatedly colouring your hair can result in it looking damaged, dry and dull. Avoid do-it-yourself chemical products and find a good stylist for such services. A stylist will know how to properly prepare your hair and select the best products for your hair type. Results are always better from a trained professional than those which you do at home.
- Towel drying your hair can cause immense damage, as your hair becomes very fragile when it is wet and will break easily causing split ends and sometimes, frizziness by being rubbed with a towel.
- Blow drying is another cause of damaged hair, as the direct heat from a hairdryer will dry out both your scalp and hair. Hairdryers may cause over drying, so it is always preferable to allow your hair to dry naturally if you have the time.
- Using a recommended quality shampoo and conditioner will not only cleanse your hair, but add moisture, elasticity and shine. Speak to your barber or stylist to get advice on the products available.
- The only genuine way to eliminate damaged hair is to cut off the damaged section and keeping your hair trimmed regularly will help. Even if you are growing your hair, ensure to get it trimmed about every six weeks to begin with as this will encourage growth.
- Don’t use a brush on wet hair, when the hair is most vulnerable. When combing through wet hair, use a wide-toothed comb and gently work out any tangles. Avoid heated tools such as blow dryers or irons which can dry and damage hair.
- Brushing wet hair is another cause of damage. Your hair becomes extremely vulnerable when it is wet and combing with a wide-toothed comb is preferable. Also, do not pull at knots and tangles in your hair, tease them out gently to avoid damaging your hair.
- Wearing your hair in a pony-tail or under a tight hat can cause a condition known as ‘Traction Alopecia’, this is where the hair gets pulled out of the scalp and can cause permanent, irreversible damage.
- Your hair gets noticed almost immediately when you meet someone, so following these simple tips can help to keep your hair healthy looking and attractive.